About the Ship
- Research ship for scientists studying global change, including biological, oceanographic, geological, and geophysical components.
- Named after the American credited with first seeing Antarctica in 1820.
- Built by in 1992 by Edison Chouest Offshore Inc., of Galliano, Louisiana;
- Owned & operated by Raytheon Polar Services Company
- 94-meters long, 18.3 meters wide
- Accommodates 37 scientists, has a crew of 22, and is capable of 75-day missions.
- Icebreaking capability allows ship to operate safely year-round in Antarctic waters that often are stormy or covered with sea ice.
- Hull steel made of a special low-temperature alloy that can withstand temperatures of -60C
- More information along with some photos can be found at the following URLs: www.polar.org/science/marine/nbp/nbp_html/nbpspecs.htm